The most loved character in the original isn’t really up for debate. Beeb beep whhhooop. You know who I am talking about – R2-D2.
What R2 adds to the story is actually a bit of a novelty. As a major character he essentially says nothing, but adds a ton of personality, particularly when he’s in conversation/dispute with C-3PO.
R2-D2 blitzes through a few essential tasks too.
Sometimes you forgot how important this little blue and white robot actually is. Whilst Threepio pretty much trundles along causing havoc right? You can tell where my loyalty in terms of droids lies, but check out these outstanding contributions from R2 below.
- Shuts down the garbage compactor that Han, Chewy, Luke, and Leia cleverly dive into.
- Delivers Leia’s message to Obi-Wan, whilst Luke and Threepio try to mess this up
- Downloads the death star schematics to form a battle plan, a frigging battle plan.
- Repairs the Millennium Falcon’s hyper drive to escape imperial capture, even with Vader deactivating it.
- Delivers Luke his lightsaber before he jumps into the scary tentacle monster pit, in a ridiculously way, launching it across a desert.
- Guides Luke whenever he is piloting and trying to blow big things up, and ends up taking a hit himself.
Not bad for a tin can, huh!
R2-D2 epitomises the Master Jedi “Judge me by my size, do you?” quote.
He’s constantly overlooked and it really grinds my gears… Wait. Do droids have gears? Anyway, to make my point clear, this little droid should have got one of those big gold medals at the end of A New Hope. R2 excels at being a robotic ninja, without even trying to be a ninja. Never seeking praise, or reward (looking at you Han) and he always delivers.
Being a Jedi is pretty out of the question for most people, however, aspiring to be a super sneaky droid is totally possible. Just grab your computer and speak in beeps. My mobile even sounds like R2 when I type. I have a setting. Don’t judge me.
R2-D2’s usefulness will however have a droid challenger in The Force Awakens with BB-8. He’s an old man now and the appeal of a beeping blue robot may have gone.
We shall see. May the force be with you R2. #TeamR2